Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rockville TT, New Personal Best Time!

Today I was planning on trying out the time trial bike for the first time in a time trial. I was getting ready when I saw that my #1 fan, (and my personal hero) Braeton had fallen and hurt himself. He was hurting, with his legs and tail bone both numb and burning. Ouch. I decided I would shoot for a personal best time tonight and dedicate it to my buddy Braeton. My previous best time was 51:59, not a great time, but the fastest I'd done this course before. As I arrived at the start I could see the trees swaying in the breeze and I knew this one was going to hurt. I decided to shoot for 51 minutes flat. I hammered out of the gate hard, passing my 1 minute man (they have a staggered start where one rider leaves every minute), 3 minutes out of the gate. Uh oh, I think I'm starting out to hard. I don't know if I can sustain this pace with this wind. After 8 miles, my body was trying to tell me to stop, slow down, just stop hurting myself. I looked down at my RoadID bracelet and the last line on it reads Ride For Braeton. That's what I did. I shifted to a harder gear and got back to business. I calculated in my head (not an easy accomplishment when you're in oxygen debt), that I might even beat 50 minutes. Shift again. Think aero. Look up. Head tucked into shoulders. Elbows in. DRIVEON! I could feel it. I knew I could do it. Then when I could see the finish line I glanced down again. WHAT?! That can't be right? Can it? After I passed the finish line I rolled over to the van and thrust my fist in the air. I did it for Braeton! When I went back and got my official time it was 44:52, over 7 minutes faster! It's amazing what you can do when inspired. Thank you, Braeton, for inspiring me day after day. June 6th I race for you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment